The Grade II listed former Regent Palace Hotel in Piccadilly will be converted to provide a mix of office, retail, residential and restaurant space around a central atrium. Three of the corner pavilions which make up the hotel’s original façade will be retained and significant sections of its exquisite Art Deco interiors restored and reinstated.
Originally built for J Lyons & Co in 1915, with 1,100 rooms it was the largest hotel in Europe at the time. A sophisticated temporary works solution was formulated to allow for excavation of a deeper basement while avoiding the need to install flying shores across the 60m wide site.
The hotel’s famous Titanic Restaurant and Atlantic Bar and Grill have been dismantled and removed for later reinstatement.
Timber and plaster features were carefully recorded with latex squeezes taken from all profiles.
Work for MJL starts next year.